Friday, June 24, 2005

Random thoughts on secularism

STORY

There is another important fact in the Indian context, I tell you. I am a Swami committed to ahimsa. A sannyasi's vow is ahimsa, really. It is nothing but ahimsa -sarva-bhootebhyo abhayam. l am taking this sanyasa and offer a complete assurance to all the beings and to all the devataas, that I am not a competitor to any of them and that I will not hurt any of them - kayena vacha manasaa. That is sannyasa. I am aware of this. I am a sannyasi .

Now I sit in Rishikesh. These two people come to me. One is a Padri and the other is a Moulvi. I invite both of them. They are religious people. I respect them. I give them seats. They try to argue with me about something. Generally, I do not argue with them. You can argue with people whom you can convince. I don't want to argue with people who only want to convince me.

So I don't argue. I enjoy their company. I sit with them and talk to them. They pick up a quarrel with me. And then they begin to beat me. Please note that, this is just an imaginary tale. And there is a policeman standing there. They go on beating me black and blue. I implore to the policeman, "Please stop them. I am committed to ahimsa. I don't want to fight them back. You please do something". I appeal to him.

He says, This is a matter between religious people. I am secular. (Prolonged cheers) I am supposed not to interfere". I appeal to him. Twice, thrice I request him. He does not respond to me positively. Then I think I have to protect myself. My shaastra will forgive me. Even though I am given to ahimsa, still I can protect myself.

And therefore I thought I will take care of myself. I am not just a weakling. I have got enough strength. And therefore, I can take care of these two fellows plus one more. I began to defend myself. The best form of defence is offence. That is what every husband does. And therefore, you defend yourself. (Laughter)

But the policeman stops me and says, They are minorities. They have to be protected and you should not fight against them". (Prolonged cheers)

"Hey, policeman, you are supposed to protect me. You are the Government. You are the State. You are supposed to protect me. You cannot be like this".

This is the situation that prevails in India. You have to change the whole blessed thing here. If the constitution has to be changed, let it be changed for good. (Prolonged cheers) My dharma is not violence. It does not allow conversion. And that dharma has to be protected. The State has to protect. If the protector does not protect, people should have a new protector to protect. That is all. (Prolonged cheers)


SENTIMENT AND SECULARISM

The State has got the responsibility to protect the religious sentiment of all the people. That I consider is secularism.
I want the Islamic culture to be there. I want the Christian culture to be there. I want the Hindu culture and every other culture to be there. Every culture is to be protected. That is secularism.

NOTHING IS SECULAR EVERYTHING IS SACRED

After a millennium of inertia and torpor brought about by the Islamic invasions and rule (c.1000 A.D onwards) and marginally better British Imperial Rule (c.1757-1947), an unprecedented Hindu awakening is slowly taking place in India today which has great positive potential and can confer immense benefit to not only the people of India but to the whole of humanity as well.

While this awakening has definite social, economic and political aspects, the universalistic ramifications of the Hindu renaissance arise from its spiritual aspect – of seeking to imbue all life and its activities with a sanctity and impart a vision, of this whole world as a manifestation of divinity, where nothing is secular; everything is sacred.

INDIA IS SECULAR BECAUSE INDIA IS HINDU
India is secular because India is Hindu. It can be added as a corollary that India is a democracy also because India is Hindu. If Hindu society permits this free for all any further, the days of Secularism and Democracy in this country are numbered. Let the Hindus unite and save themselves, their democratic polity, their secular state, and their Sanãtana Dharma for a new cycle of civilization, not only for themselves but also

2 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister pas cher, jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, mulberry uk, michael kors, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, timberland pas cher, converse pas cher, longchamp pas cher, kate spade, air max, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, sac hermes, sac vanessa bruno, north face uk, polo ralph lauren, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, vans pas cher, coach purses, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, replica handbags, coach outlet store online, louboutin pas cher, hollister uk, oakley pas cher, burberry pas cher, nike tn, polo lacoste, nike free uk, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, new balance, nike free run

10:46 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, converse outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, hollister, gucci, converse, supra shoes, nike air max, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, pandora charms, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, louis vuitton, replica watches, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, marc jacobs, barbour uk, ugg, lancel, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, toms shoes, ugg uk, links of london, coach outlet, barbour

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home